Sunday, October 19, 2008

Via Ferrate and Water Rafting in West Virginia



Ahhhhh
....There's nothing better then hanging on a wire off a steep wall, having your breath taken away by amazing views and bright colors of American fall. Yep...definitely nothing better...well, maybe if you add a chilly night in a tent followed by thrilling water rafting trip. Yes, that's it...there's absolutely nothing better...weeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllll...OK so there's nothing better then beautiful foliage staring at you as you hang above a valley, followed by an even higher increase in your blood pressure as you hit class V rafts on a foaming river SURROUNDED BY fantastic crowd! Yes...now that's it!:) There's nothing better then that...
It took us over 8 hours to get to the cabin were we had to spend our first night...it's a good thing we were tired as those bunk beds looked more like coffins then beds. Rested and excited we headed out to Nelson Rocks Preserve were we had our Via Ferrata adventure! As you see in the pics the views were great (they were amazing and breathtaking but the pictures don't give that off, you just have to see it with your own eyes). I won't be talking much as really there are no words I can write that can describe our thrill. I tell you this...my legs were trembling more then once and my bladder felt very weak a couple of times as well, there was a moment or two that I thought I can't possibly finish the path (going down was a bit scary), but I did!!!!! All of that for under 50 bucks...This spot is begging to be in a Master Card commercial!!!! We arrived safe and sound at the finish and once again got in the car. A few hours later we hit the "cafeteria" at the Songer Base Camp. It was dark and chilly when we started to set up the camp. I warmed up by the fire for a little while but gave up quickly as my eye lids were getting heavier and heavier. I crossed my fingers (hoping that the for casted frost will never arrive and that my sleeping bag which I can't stand will keep me warm) and said goodnight to the gang.
Waking up in the morning wasn't fun. It was FREEZING!!!!! The tent was covered by frost and was so stiff that we barely could fold it so it would fit in it's carrying bag!!!!! I had no gloves and my fingers were blue..."and I"m supposed to take off my cozy jacket, put on lousy 5mm neoprene wet suit and rubber shoes and go in a water!!!!!????? NO WAY!!!!" I could see myself reaching 110 degree fever AND I was flying to Poland in three days!!!!! I chickened out...slowly but surely other girls started to drop out like flies! We arrived at the Songer (rafting company) and I was amazed at how many people were there!!!!!! Bus fulls!!! "Hello!!!!! Isn't anyone worried that instead of rafting on a river we'll be sliding down a icy path????" Apparently not! I strolled around the store and watched others fill their forms...I was furious at myself...Can I really stay behind? All these people are getting ready and I'M supposed to stay here??? UGGHHHHH!!!!! "Fine! I'll do it!!!!!" I had no water shoes and they weren't renting any:( so I put on plastic bags over my feet and pulled socks over it - don't ask me why...I"m blond...so I did! I wasn't looking forward to the trip and others shared my enthusiasm, but there was no turning back. When we got to the river I couldn't even see it thru the fog that was lingering above it! I looked weird and cool at the same time. Some one said it's because the water is warmer then the air, but I found it hard to believe...It was true! When the water hit me the first time I thought I'd stream, instead I gave off another ambiguous noise - it actually felt good to be splashed!!!!! Only for a moment because once the water dripped off the cold returned. I found myself dipping my hands in every once in a while to warm them up!:) The mist was thick and it was hard to see where we were going, but later on in the day the sun came out, temperatures evened out and the mist went away. It was still cold but not like the morning. I was ecstatic that I didn't chicken out of this adventure. The flip at the end of trip was refreshing but I was shivering once we were on land. Will I have to go bankrupt on Sudaphed? Only time will show:) When we got home I overdosed on vitamin C, curled under the covers and waited for the chills to stop:)...they did...and I was fine...I'm such a drama queen!!!! :) It was all worth it! Thanks Gang!

2 comments:

robsik said...

Ach, najbardziej mnie rajcuje to wejście górskie. Nigdy nie praktykowałem takich spływów, więc nie wiem czy są fajne. Ale łażenie po górach jest The Best :) - co nie Paweł? :))

robsik said...

Ha! Now it looks very nice! My congratulations! :)